OUGD603: Brief 10 — DR. ME - Revisited Work (1)

Revisited Work 

I mocked up the vinyl sleeve, as well as quickly designing the vinyl itself:



Although I was happy with my sleeve (mostly experimenting much more with layered as a process), I wanted to explore another idea:



I came across this image whilst researching, a piece of Brutalist, Russian Architecture (by Spomenik). This style of design was post - war, and instantly made me think of the mix. The mix felt cosmic and alien-like, just like this piece reacts an an alien object within it's surroundings. The object also gives the idea of vast and unexplored space, which is also communicated within the mix. 

Another image of work by Spomenik gave a similar feel was this:


I liked the idea of creating two different sides to the cover, questioning reality. This idea came from the dream like, and surreal feel of the mix. 

I decided it would work well to manipulate one of the images into the other, making the viewer question which architectural monument is actually in it's real place. It also gave me the chance to learn more about Photo manipulation, something I need to improve on. 

The original image: 


The object removed: 



The addition of the second monument, with levels adjusted as well as lighting / shadows:



The addition of bushes in the foreground: 



                                                                                                                                                              

VHS Recording Idea

I had the idea of using these images as a fake VHS Recording, reminiscent of 'found tapes', creating an eery aesthetic. The idea came from films like The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity. 


I added different channels, and manipulated the colours, taking away either Red, Green or Blue in each layer. I had to work in RGB for this to work, as it was mimicking the affect of VHS recordings. 






You can see below the affect given when shifting the layers slightly. 



The final images:



The back used crude text, seen on VHS Displays. 


                                                                                                                                                              

Crit

I was unsure of the idea, and wanted to know what others thought. 

I spoke to a few people in my class:

Positives:

- The imagery and concept behind the manipulation work really well. 
- The monuments are visually interesting. 

Neagtives:

- The VHS aesthetic distracts from the original concept. 

From this, I have decided to go back and use the originally imagery, but keep the rest much more simple. 

                                                                                                                                                              

Final Imagery

I have decided to keep the text very minimal, as I feel it doesn't distract from the image, and also gives the idea of space and an atmospheric feel. 

Front:


Back: 



Thursday 13 November 2014 by Unknown
Categories: , | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply