OUGD603: Brief 1 — Madison - Type Specimen - What To Include

Features




After researching into existing type specimens, it's clear that the design and feel of the specimen is entirely dependant on what the typeface offers. 

I evaluated Madison, in order to explain what it's selling points are: 


- The inspiration - Display type used in New York, 1960's advertising. Madison is made for more of a body copy use. It still uses the same tight kerning, but with larger ascenders and descenders to increase readability. 
- Low contrast allowing readability and small scale. 
- Regular & Bold
- Supportive of Basic Latin, Western European, Central European, South Eastern European, Afrikaans & Pinyin. 
- Kerning Pairs
- Ink Traps for improved printing. 
- Ligatures for practical use and artist flair. 
- Numerals, fractions, nominators, denominators and a basic mathematic set. 
- A full set of punctuation. 
- Unique marks such as the asterism, interrobang and the irony mark. 

                                                                                                                                                 

Phrases

With Madison being based around a New York street, I wanted to list some options for displaying the type....

I came up with a research method, derived from a talk I went to by a studio from Berlin, who were visiting Huddersfield to do a talk on their new book. 

NEUBAU — 5 Years In The Forest
In summary:
Neubau used their logotype, placed over a map of Berlin to find 'street trees' to photograph and catalogue. The points were made from anchors on the typeface, and then the longitude and latitude were noted. 

I have decided to use this research method with my typeface, using the anchor points of the name (Madison in Bold) to find addresses. I intend on using these addresses in the Type Specimen. 

I feel this is a really interesting way of working, and will give me quite random results. It also means I avoid using cliches such as "The Empire State Building". 

I used the centre of Madison Avenue as my centre point, with all the letters based around it. 








Thursday 13 November 2014 by Unknown
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply