OUGD603: Brief 1 — Madison - Making Initial Corrections

Firstly, I wanted to make corrections to my typeface, so I created a sample document with body copy in to evaluate:



Here you can see all the characters I've designed, as well as the character I want to add. I took inspiration from 'Hoefler Text', a well rounded typeface with ligatures, glyphs and foreign characters. 






Obviously I could look into a vast number of characters, but I want to limit my typeface (in the mean time) to most European languages. 

I have no experience working with Cyrllic characters, so this is definitely something I'll stay clear of. 

Changes To Make



- Research into Kerning pairs - eg. AVA. The metrics are fine for the A, V, a & v characters, but obviously when next to each other they should be tighter. I know how to adjust all the metrics on Glyphs, but not specific paired letters. 

- Numeral thickness - It seems the straight characters (e.g. 1) are the right thickness, but the curved numbers (eg. 9, 2, 8) are far too thick. 

- Metrics - Most of these are fine. One obvious change will be the lower case e, which is far too wide. 

- Thickness of letters - lowercase v and lowercase a both need to have some weight shaded slightly, but something I need to be careful with. 

- Re-evaluate the glyphs -  Generally, most of these are fine. However the ampersand and other curved glyphs (the currency symbols) are too thick and need to reach the ascender height instead of cap height. 




Tuesday 14 October 2014 by Unknown
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply