OUGD603: Brief 1 — Madison - Creating a Regular

The Process of Creating A Regular 

I realised that my typeface was more of a semi bold / bold than a regular. As I intended on producing a bold and a regular for my typeface, I decided to use my current font as a bold, and create a thinner regular. 

In the newest version of Glyphs, you are able to add or minus a stroke to your shapes, helping with creating characters at different weights. However, the version I have does not allow it. I could not afford to buy the newer version (it's 200 Euros), so found a way round it. 

Obviously in Illustrator you can add strokes to shapes, which is the way I decided to work. 

The Process Itself

First I took the bold into Illustrator, and added a white stroke. I then copied the shape back into Glyphs. 





The shape copied into Glyphs: 







Unfortunately, the nodes are all in the wrong place, and have to be manually adjusted for each character, a VERY time consuming process. However it guarantees a consistency and the quality needed for a typeface. 




The nodes re-adjusted and the new form: 




To Do

I highlighted all the characters that needed to be put into bold:





Creating a regular colon: 



Creating a regular asterisk: 





Adjusting the question mark: 





Readjusting Diacritics

I looked as my diacritics as a whole, and realised they weren't consistant in their height. I added global guidelines, allowing adjustment to the same height easy. 












Current progress:



Adjusting the tilde:







You can see the difference in quality from adjusting the nodes:





Curent progress: 



You can see that most of the latin characters are complete, but the mathematic characters need lots of work:



Regular and bold mathematic characters - These were designed all together to create consistency. 






Creating the regular section sign: 







                                                                                                                                                                 

ALMOST DONE

A week of intense hard work later, I have created all 432 characters for the regular. 







Monday 3 November 2014 by Unknown
Categories: | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply